Thursday, June 12th through Tuesday, July 8th, 2008
For the middle third of summer, I hung out in some key areas – like D.C., all over Florida, Atlanta area, Louisiana… It was fun to watch as it unfolded – and a little warm!
- Collegiate Ministry visits: 13
- Church weekend services: 19
- Interviews / other ministry discussions: 22
- Conferences, etc.: 2
- Total explorations: 56
- Total campuses: 12
States: West Virginia, Pennsylvania (on the way to the D.C. area); Maryland, Virginia, D.C. (not a state), North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas (#41), Louisiana
- #133: West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV
- #134: George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
- #135: Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
- #136: George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
- #137: Jacksonville University, Jacksonville, FL
- #138: University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL
- #139: University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL
- #140: University of Georgia, Athens, GA
- #141: Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech), Atlanta, GA
- #142: Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA
- #143: Clemson University, Clemson, SC
- Millsaps College, Jackson, MS (I first explored this school back in Chapter 4.)
- The University of Louisiana at Monroe, Monroe, LA (Also first seen in Chapter 4.)
- #144: Grambling State University, Grambling, LA
Collegiate Ministry Visits
- New Student Orientation Organization Fair, West Virginia Univesity, connecting briefly with a few college ministries, 6-12
- Dinner with members and leaders of the Gathering college ministry, McLean Bible Church, Sun. 6-15
- DC Intern Bible Study, Capitol Hill Baptist Church, Tues. 6-17, leader Philip Van Steenburgh teaching
- Leaders Meeting, No Limits Young Adults (surfer crowd) ministry, First Baptist Church, Jacksonville, FL, Wed. 6-18
- College Life (18-25) gathering of Celebration Church, Jacksonville, FL
- Atlantic Beach Bible study, Christian Surfers International / No Limits ministry of First Baptist Church, Jacksonville, FL (held at Atlantic Beach, FL)
- “Eskatos” College Ministry of Calvary Chapel Ft. Lauderdale, Fort Lauderdale, FL, Fri. 6-20, College & Career Minister Marco Bruno teaching
- Young Adult Sunday school, Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church, Fort Lauderdale, FL, Sun. 6-22 (brief visit)
- “Reset” worship gathering of First Baptist Church, Orlando, FL, Sun. 6-22, College Director Justin Stowell speaking
- Worship gathering of “STATUS” 20-somethings community of Discovery Church, Orlando, FL, 8:30pm Sun. 6-22, STATUS Pastor Josh Loveless speaking
- College and Young Adults Sunday school classes, First Baptist Church, Woodstock, GA (just observing the classes in session, their setup, etc.)
- Summer Gathering, College Ministry of North Point Community Church, Alpharetta, GA (held at Buckhead Church campus), Gabe Lyons, Founder, Fermi Project and author of unChristian, speaking. Included production pre-meeting and leaders’ dinner, as well as “Cereal Slosh” event following the Gathering.
- July 4th volleyball tournament and cookout, College and G.A.P. (Graduates and Professionals) ministry of First Baptist Church, Woodstock, GA
19 weekend worship services, all over the region!
Interviews & Other “Exploring” Activities
- Much ministry discussion, Michelle Parazzo, leader, The Gathering college ministry of McLean Bible Church, Vienna, VA
- Ministry discussion, David Verhey, deacon with oversight of College and DC Interns ministry, Capitol Hill Baptist Church, Washington, D.C.
- Interview, Director John McGowan, Intern Josh Cahan, and leader Michelle Parazzo, The Gathering college ministry of McLean Bible Church
- Interview, Dave Hickox, College Pastor, National Community Church, Washington, D.C.
- Ministry discussion, Philip Van Steenburgh, leader, College and Interns ministry, Capitol Hill Baptist Church
- Ministry discussion, Trey Brunson, leader, No Limits young adults (surfer crowd) ministry, and Director of Projects and Development, First Baptist Church, Jacksonville, FL
- Interview, John Wyatt, Student Ministries Pastor, Celebration Church, Jacksonville, FL
- Interview, Chris Price, Pastor of Missions and Minister to College Students, Chets Creek Church, Jacksonville, FL
- Interview, David Lorenz, College & Singles Pastor, and Justin Stowell, College Director, First Baptist Church, Orlando, FL
- Interview, Mauricio Tinico, Media Producer and college ministry director, Flamingo Road Church, Cooper City, FL
- Interview, Marco Bruno, College and Career Minister, Calvary Chapel Ft. Lauderdale
- Ministry discussion, Duane Mellor, Director, College and Career Ministries, and Assistant Director, Youth Ministries, Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Interview, Josh Loveless, Pastor, STATUS 20s Community, Discovery Church, Orlando, FL
- Interview, Adam Stone, College and High School Intern, Northland, A Church Distributed, Orlando, FL
- Interview, Mat Carter, College Ministry Director, Midtown Community Church, Atlanta, GA
- Interview, Brad Horton, College Director, North Point Community Church, Alpharetta, GA
- Brainstorming session / “consultation” and various ministry discussions with staff of Café 1040 (Executive Director Chuck, Applicant Mentor Mike, College Mobilizer and Partnership Development Jennifer, College Mobilizer Karen, and Administrator Laura), Alpharetta, GA
- Interview, Katie Bohrer, Partnerships Coordinator, Growing Leaders, Duluth, GA
- Interview, Rod Mays, National Coordinator, Reformed University Ministries of the Presbyterian Church in America
- Ministry discussion and campus visit, Sky Pratt, College Pastor, Prince Avenue Baptist Church, Bogart, GA
- Interview, Aaron Jeffrey, Campus Pastor, Reformed University Fellowship, Georgia Tech
- Ministry discussion, Steve Gillis, College & Singles Pastor, First Baptist Church, Woodstock, GA
Special Events: Conferences
- 2008 National Leadership Forum: “Sceenagers,” sponsored by Growing Leaders and Chick-fil-A, held at Chick-fil-A Headquarters, Atlanta, GA. This was a phenomenal two days of info-packed seminars focused on connecting with members of the Millennial Generation. Speakers included Tim Elmore, President of Growing Leaders; Leonard Sweet, professor at Drew Theological School and George Fox University; Andy Lorenzen, Chick-fil-A’s Manager of Human Resources; Paul Litten, Founding Partner of leadershipForward; and Tim Tassopoulos, Chick-fil-A Senior VP of Operations; with an on-phone brief message by author Tamara Erickson. Attendees included 150 individuals who, in one way or another, work with “Gen Y” people: college staff and faculty (at Christian and secular schools), pastors, lots of college ministers, and many others. Within the 2-day forum, I also had the awesome chance to connect with quite a few college ministers from various parts of the country, as well as other great people!
- Collegiate Workers’ Fellowship, a gathering of Southern Baptist college ministers, hosted by Baptist Collegiate Ministry, University of Louisiana at Monroe, July 7-8. This annual yearly gathering is a great time of informal idea-sharing among some of our longtime college ministers (the “lifers”) as well as plenty of us who are new(er). Obviously, this time afforded opportunities to connect with several campus-based and church-based college ministers and hear more about their ministries.