Holding your own “Bracket Challenge” is really a no-brainer for most college ministries. Not only does it help with community and culture like any competition, but it could also set you up for ministry gatherings over the three tournament weeks.
(In case you’re wondering, brackets will come out Sunday, March 11th, with most bracket systems requiring entry by early AM Thursday the 15th.)
But besides the usual, college ministry-wide challenge, perhaps with some simple prize, here are some ideas for expanding – in your goals and your effort. Enjoy!
- Offer a prize for the winner that creates buzz
- Better yet, offer a “prize”/dare/penalty for the loser that creates buzz (that’s what we do here at our church)
- Open it up to the whole campus
- Have winners/losers along the way (at the end of each round, or weekly)
- Put a spiritual twist on it: pray for the schools and college ministry there (at least the Sweet Sixteen or Elite Eight schools)
- Connect with college ministers in your organization/denomination (or not in your organization/denomination) at some of the schools in the tournament
- Wear T-shirts from as many of the sixty-eight campuses as you can (oh wait, that’s what I do)
- Plan a road trip… to whatever school wins. Or plan a road trip to the closest school of the Elite Eight teams, and leave the morning after that’s settled (the Elite Eight will be “set” the night of Friday, March 23rd). If you won’t do it, I bet a bunch of your students would…