Have you ever considered connecting the events of your ministry to Black History Month? Four reasons you might consider not overlooking this annual event:
- It’s a good way to integrate with your campus (assuming your school has some activities around this issue)
- It’s a “teachable moment” to discuss race, teaching students (and learning) how to view it through a biblical grid
- The history of Black Christianity in the United States is a rich one
- Whatever “racial reconciliation” means and whatever it looks like when done best, Christians should be leading that charge
- It’s an awesome opportunity to connect with any ministries (or non-ministries) on your campus that are focused on involving black students
I’m sure there are other good reasons – feel free to add to the list! But we have an opportunity to talk about things that most on our campus – including our own students – probably expect us to ignore.