Taken from a post I wrote a long time ago, this list shares some of the reasons you should consider recruiting students right now, right here at the end of the semester.
Some of the better reasons it’s a cool time for recruiting:
- It focuses on students becoming part of the group, rather than simply taking part in the group. Without an upcoming event or the start-of-semester hubbub to focus on, we get to highlight the community we simply offer, week after week.
- Some students are more likely to feel the need for new spiritual involvement now, at the end of a long semester. If you offer that sort of involvement now (rater than simply in January), you’re meeting the need they’re feeling now.
- It doubles their exposure to your college ministry (if you plan to recruit when they return).
- It increases word-of-mouth. Before airing their first season,Glee used this strategy by airing one episode right before the Summer Break – and it worked! Present good reasons to be excited next semester, and you might just see the excitement spread over the next month or two.
- There’s more “room” for your group to make an impression. When students come back to school, your college ministry will be competing with dozens of other organizations. Right now, your voice will be heard!
- Who knows? It might serve as a spiritual anchor during the Holidays. God just might use the expectation of spiritual involvement to encourage students spiritually across the long Winter Break.
- You have the time (perhaps). I know the closing days of a semester – especially Finals Week – can often provide a little more time-elasticity. Recruiting might be a great way to use that time before you cross the finish line!