In February, I listed a bunch of upcoming opportunities for your college ministry – everything from TV shows to holidays to celebrate to potential “teachable moments.” Not sure why I didn’t include movies, but maybe I did that somewhere else.
That list only went through May, so I figured it was high time to offer another list. Whether you’ve got a big ministry or a small one this summer, here are some dates you might find useful. But PLEASE add to it – what am I missing?
- Be sure to check out local baseball game dates, including giveaway nights, cheap food nights, cheap ticket nights, etc.. And don’t forget the Minor Leagues!
- I’m a huge fan of taking college ministries to the local demolition derby. Honestly. It’s crazy fun.
- Speaking of rowdy mild-violence, you could also check out local roller derby leagues. (I’ve never been, but thanks to Alice Connor for the suggestion.)
- Local Christian Music festivals can be a big, fun win. (There’s an enormous one here.)
- I of course mention movies below that seem like they could fit a “college ministry outing.” But you can check on others, too.
- Wipeout airs Tuesdays on ABC this summer. Poll your students, but you might find this to be a great gathering point.
- Meanwhile, America’s Got Talent offers the same opportunity, Tuesdays and/or Wednesdays.
- June 4th: A documentary about Doctors Without Borders, Living in Emergency: Stories of Doctors Without Borders, apparently just opened in selected cities… for the service minded (or medically minded), it might be worth checking to see if your city has been selected!
- June 8th, 10th, 13th, 15th, and 17th: The remaining games of the NBA Finals (assuming it goes all 7 games).
- June 9th, 11th: The remaining games of the Stanley Cup Playoffs (the latter only if necessary). (HT: Sarah Koutz)
- June 11th: Karate Kid opens.
- June 11th: The A-Team opens.
- June 11th: World Cup begins (through July 11th).
- June 18th: Toy Story 3 opens (perfect for midnight viewing and/or a Trilogy-watching Party).
- June 20th: Father’s Day, which can be a teachable moment, a ministry opportunity, a slow day for a church-based ministry, a day to invite dads to your church-based ministry, or all of the above. Also a day to love on students who may have rough situations in regard to their dads, whether those students are local or away.
- June 25th: Knight and Day opens.
- July 2nd: The Last Airbender opens. Not rated yet, so be wise. Apparently it was a Nickelodeon show back in the day? We didn’t grow up with cable.
- July 4th: Independence Day. Usually something major to do around town. Also could be a cool teachable moment, discussing how patriotism connects (or doesn’t connect) with a biblical worldview.
- July 11th: World Cup ends (from June 11th).
- July 13th: MLB All-Star Game.
- July 23rd: Dinner for Schmucks opens. Not rated yet, so be wise. I saw a trailer for this, and it looked thoughtful – but I may be way off here.
Share your thoughts:
- Anything I’m missing?
- Want to share your methods for any of these activities? I’d love to highlight them (and you!) on this blog!