For those of you who enjoy this sort of thing, I wanted to use this post to look back at my adventures last weekend – and let you know about this weekend’s (strangely parallel) exploits as I enjoy some great campus tribes!
Last weekend, I got to experience the well-known festivities that take place during a home football game at the University of Michigan.
Of course, this wasn’t just a fun respite from my calling to explore college ministries; it’s all part of the process of learning the campus tribes. (And I hope you do the same sort of thing – with some regularity – on your own campuses, walking among the “masses” as they go about their fun, their work, their studies, their parties, their lives.)
I now find myself in State College, PA, also known as the Happy Valley… and also known as the home of the Penn State Nittany Lions. Like last weekend at Michigan, this is also a home game weekend, and the home team is also playing a squad from Indiana. (Last week, Michigan played Purdue; today, Penn State plays IU.)
So I plan to explore the famous Gameday experience here, comparing and contrasting with last weekend to my heart’s content. (The tailgating at Penn State was voted the best collegiate tailgating by SI readers, and #5 by ESPN. And like last weekend, you can join in on the action, because I’ll be Tweeting my experiences throughout this morning.
Yet unlike last weekend, I’ll be attending the game – through a very providential set of circumstances, God has provided a free ticket!
So in case you missed last week, you can find my “reports” from Michigan below. Remember, all the “twitpic” links provide pictures from that big day. And if you want to follow my adventure in Happy Valley, just click over to www.twitter.com/bensonhines to see today’s reports!
- If you’re playing Michigan Game Day Bingo, cross off full gorilla suit, beekeeper helmet, & live band playing rock version of “Scrubs” 10:44 AM
- Made it to the entrance (see pic), now I walk back to campus & enjoy it again http://twitpic.com/omdh3 11:01 AM
- A classic tailgating scene: http://twitpic.com/omedb 11:07 AM
- A view up State St.: http://twitpic.com/omgh1 11:23 AM
- The biggest lawn party I’ve seen so far, complete w Halloween decor still up: http://twitpic.com/omhf1 11:29 AM
- As for instances of blaring Party in the USA this mornin’, the count is now 4 11:31 AM
- I had to take an alternate route to get back up to main campus, because walking against the gameday flow on State became a non-option 11:37 AM
- Best view of the day: Bongo Man in front of the stadium, who rhymes about the people who pass (& probably CLEANS UP). Brilliant. (Pic next) 12:04 PM
- Picture of Bongo Man at UMich Gameday: http://twitpic.com/ommmg 12:05 PM
- Tailgating with a TV: http://twitpic.com/omnlk 12:12 PM
- Fortunately, @ Michigan gameday I am wearing a UM T-shirt with blue & yellow… Unfortunately, it’s Univ of Missouri Kansas City (go ‘Roos!) 12:28 PM
- Oh, that campus missionaries would so work among the college tribes that the desires indulged in during a normal Gameday would be… 12:42 PM
- …not weakened but strengthened! “Our desires are not too strong but too weak.” – C.S.L. 12:43 PM