Some stuff I was thinking about yesterday.
The top five objections for college ministry (on campus or in the church):
- The short time frame and transitory nature of the college years
- Past difficulties experienced by the organization when trying to reach college students
- Not enjoying the fruits of our labors, because students graduate and move on from us
- The hedonistic, “barbaric” nature of collegiate culture
- The financial cost involved, without receiving financial return (this is, sadly, the most common one I hear)
The easiest way to counter most objections is with one of these three responses:
- the same is true for missions, and we care deeply about that…
- the same is true for youth ministry, and we care deeply about that… OR
- all the better reason to go after strategic college ministry with gusto!
Those won’t cover everything. But most.
Any thoughts? Suggestions? Additions? Subtractions? Multiplications?
[A more detailed answers to objection #3 can be found here.]