Want to minister to college students… before they’re even college students? (Isn’t that cheating?)
Here are five ideas:
- Chapel. That local Christian high school might, in fact, be hurting for chapel speakers. Why not give a “preparing spiritually for college” talk – or series?
- Mini-Conference. What if your ministry hosted a “Getting Ready for College” seminar for local high school students, parents, or both? (Of course, you might just get some great PR benefits, too.)
- Youth groups. Whether at your church (or just a church) or in a local youth club (like Young Life), plenty of high schoolers would love to hear wisdom for their approaching “afterlife.” And their youth pastors might appreciate the help!
- Small group. Whether it’s one-on-one with a local youth, or sitting down regularly with a group of them, disciplemaking needs to happen in students’ lives… and you offer a special sort of wisdom from the collegiate perspective.
- Don’t think this can only be you. I know you’re busy! You’re a college minister! Fortunately, we have the opportunity not only to minister-to-youths-in-light-of-college ourselves, but we get to recruit some stud college students to the same opportunity! Of course some of your student leaders can speak in a chapel service, give a little seminar, teach a youth group, or disciple a high school senior.