- For anyone looking for purpose and answers in light of these kinds of crazy, crazy circumstances, Ravi Zacharias’s messages (and the Q&A sessions) from Virginia Tech last semester are helpful. Those are here.
- The home page of NIU has been updated dramatically and is worth working through: www.niu.edu.
- An official campus memorial will be held on campus next Sunday, the 24th.
- Classes are canceled this entire week.
- Immanuel Lutheran Church and their on-campus ministry noted that lots of International Students don’t have anywhere to go during this time. Obviously, they will need love from God and His family like never before.
- Campus Crusade is organizing a multi-ministry campus prayer walk for this Sunday (the 17th) at 4pm Central Time. It will be a hard time to be back on campus for many of those students, but this is spiritual engagement like no other.
- They are also presently planning a T-shirt outreach – giving T-shirts to everybody on campus they can, in hopes of both uniting the campus and spreading an evangelistic web site.
- If you want to help with the T-shirt Ministry or otherwise donate to Campus Crusade at NIU, I have a mailing address. Just let me know if you want it – my email is on the About Benson page, or just Facebook me at Benson Hines. Or, you can find contact info for their staff here.
Obviously, the above things are all worth praying for. Pray for God to be good to these students during this time. It will be great in some ways – and hard in others – to have been away from school for a full 10 days before resuming. Pray for students as they walk the campus, pray, and heal. Pray for Christians as they deal with their own grief – to be there for others but not feel guilty for needing to heal, too.
I do remember Darrell Cook, Baptist Collegiate Ministries Director at Virginia Tech, describing the role money can play in times like these. It frees ministries and students up, because what needs to get done can be done – without worrying about financial provision in this crazy time. A lunch with a hurting friend. A T-shirt outreach. Postage. Materials. Even heat and light as ministry buildings are used for ministry purposes.
Written from Pacific Palisades, California